My award

My award

Sunday, July 29, 2007

delicious potstickers



Sunday is the only day I get to try experimenting new dishes. I have been eating out a lot and it has added a few visible calories on my waistline. I decided to stop it right there and get back to cooking more at home and eating healthy.

I love going to downtown everyday and though I bag my lunch, after a hectic day and all those eating places all around i sneak out to get some lunch. I did find some great places and fabulous dishes.


Today, I decided to try making some potstickers, I bought the potsticker wrappers last month and have been sitting in my fridge like forever. I had some shrimp and decided to give it a try. what came out was really good......I didnt expect it to turn out that perfect!


So, try this out and here's the recipe-

You need-
  • potsticker wrappers (available in asian/international grocery stores)
  • oil
  • shrimp (fresh/frozen)
  • onion
  • garlic
  • turmeric
  • chilli flakes
  • salt and pepper

To do

The filling

  • keep your potsticker wrappers in the refrigerator and not in the freezer.
  • pull them out and let it come to the room temperature.
  • meanwhile clean up your shrimp
  • put your pan in medium flame and add vegetable oil
  • out the shrimo and let it get lightly fried
  • add the onions and garlic and stir it all together
  • when almost done, add a pinch of turmeric, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
  • when they are almost red and done, take it off the flames and let it rest for a minute.
  • transfer the whole pan to the food processor/blender
  • pulse it, till it is all smooth and done. add a little water if needed.
  • transfer it to the pan and heat up a little and stir, so the water evaporates and you potstickers don't seem runny.

The Final Act

  • keep a bowl of room temperature water.
  • take a wrapper and fill in a scoop of the shrimp filling
  • dab our index finger with water, add wet the sides of the wrapper.
  • fold the wrapper and make sure to have it sealed.
  • once done, add some oil to the pan and out it on medium flame
  • add the potstickers to the pan one by one and let them fry 1 minute each side.
  • now the trick, add a little water to the pan (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
  • close the lid of your pan and let it steam
  • the water will evantually evaporate and since it had the left over oil in it, will fry ligtly again.
  • transfer them to the dish and serve with a tomatillo salsa.

Now, thats a perfect Sunday meal and couple it with some good reads and you are ready for a grilling week coming ahead.

No comments: